Compilation time (was Re: GCC 3.3)

On Tuesday, April 29, 2003, at 09:27 AM, Mark Mitchell wrote:

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 07:44, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:

In my judgement, the current set of regressions against 3.3 contain no
show-stoppers.

What about compile-time regressions?

Yes, there are some. There are some progressions, too.

Some of the ideas I have are too invasive for the release branch; for
example, I want to go another round on the exceptions/inlining
interaction, but that's probably not a 3.3 change.

Fundamentally, I don't think there's much more we can do without just
waiting around hoping someone will fix things.

I agree that compilation time regressions shouldn't be a reason to delay 3.3. That's why I've changed the subject line: I don't think this discussion is really relevant to the 3.3 release. (Although we might want to consider applying the patch Gaby posted a couple days ago, considering that his work is already done.)

I also agree we should make compilation time a major goal for 3.4. One implication: if this is a major goal, then it's too important to be left just to the people who care about compilation time. One thing we've observed at Apple, and I hope people on this list have noticed it too, is that performance just leaks away if you're not looking at it. Everybody should be thinking about the performance implications of their changes, and everyone should be measuring. Finally, everybody should be concerned about small regressions, not just large ones. A 2% performance regression may not seem like much, but if you check in a change that causes a 2% regression then you've just put a new work item on someone else's queue: find another change to get back that lost time. It doesn't take very many small regressions to make up a noticeable degradation.

--Matt