Re: GNAT and NPTL (3.3?)

> Hi, to formally add support for NPTL in CVS, I assume
> it is ok to use the existing GNAT thread package
> selection mechanism, say: THREAD_KIND=nptl
> when building gnatlib_and_tools. I chose
> the letter 'j' (after 'i' used for linux now),
> there's only one file to be added it is '5josinte.ads'.

Actually 5j files are already used by jgnat, so another letter would be
more appropriate.

I am not convinced we need a new letter. As far as I could see from your
patches, NPTL and linuxthreads are fully compatible (even though
linuxthreads headers have changed between redhat 8 and redhat 9, which is
a different issue), unless you've done your work on the linuxthreads
headers.

Anyway, I think having new files may not be needed.

Now, if someone could clarify the situation on redhat 9 with linuxthreads and
ntpl, that'd be very useful: how do they coexist ? what header files
are used for which library, how does one switch from one to the others, ... ?

All these questions need to be answered to properly consider nptl support, so
this is the first step to do before adding new files.

Arno