From: Zack Weinberg [mailto:zack at codesourcery dot com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 10:19 AM
To: Xu, Qiang (XSSC SGP)
Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
Subject: Re: gcc compile?

"Xu, Qiang (XSSC SGP)" <Xu dot Qiang at xssc dot sgp dot xerox dot com> writes:

> hi, all:
> i have downloaded the full package of gcc 2.95.3, if i want to install it
by
> the method of "make" and "make install", is any previous gcc version
before
> 2.95.3 is required?
> is there any stand-alone version of gcc? (stand-alone here means if there
is
> only the inborn cc compiler with a UNIX system, and this UNIX system
hasn't
> installed any version of gcc before, can i compile gcc2.95.3 on it?)

All released versions of GCC are intended to be stand-alone, in the
sense you are using (with the unfortunate exception of the Ada front
end).  However, there are a number of problems that can arise, most
common is that the 'inborn cc compiler' doesn't actually work at all
(this is the case on most Solaris systems, for instance).

If you would care to be more specific about what sort of Unix system
you have, and the nature of its bundled compiler, we can be more
helpful.

zw