Re: 3.2.3-pre tarball 2: libjava build still fails on sparc-sun-solaris2.8

Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer at dbai dot tuwien dot ac dot at> writes:

[...]

|  ad -lrt ./libltdl/.libs/libltdlc.a -ldl -L/files/pfeifer/O/gcc/sparcv9 -L/files/pfeifer/O/gcc -L/usr/ccs/bin/sparcv9 -L/usr/ccs/bin -L/usr/ccs/lib/sparcv9 -L/usr/ccs/lib -L/lib/sparcv9 -L/usr/lib/sparcv9 -lgcc_s_sparcv9 -lgcc_s_sparcv9     -lc /files/pfeifer/O/gcc/sparcv9/crtend.o /files/pfeifer/O/gcc/sparcv9/crtn.o  -Wl,-h -Wl,libgcj.so.3 -o .libs/libgcj.so.3.0.0
|   ld: fatal: file /dev/zero: mmap anon failed: Not enough space
|   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
|   gmake[5]: *** [libgcj.la] Error 1
|   gmake[5]: Leaving directory `/files/pfeifer/O/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/sparcv9/libjava'
|
| This is a box with 512MB main memory and 1GB swap, so "not enough space"
| sounds very dubious.

I was going to ask whether that isn't a binutils issue but I just
realized that you said (below) that you were not using binutils and a
closely related report have been made in the past (nearly a year ago).

| > At least, there should be a way to un-suppress the error messages.
| > Can any libtool-knowlegeable people give me a quick way to turn off the
| > error suppression?  If not, I can try to figure it out and see what
| > error I'm actually getting, but the problem seems intermittent (directly
| > running the same libtool command I don't see the error).
|
| Interestingly, my problem is libtool-related as well.
|
| I first reported a variant of this problem in
|   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-06/threads.html#00284
| but didn't notice it on the 3.2 branch until now, because I had Java
| disabled on the slow Solaris boxes. :-(

Well, it seems that that issue had been debated in-depth; I would really
appreciate  if Alexandre Oliva or Tom Tromey or any libtool-guru could
jump in and enlighten me.

Thanks,

-- Gaby