Configuring a new target

Hi All,
  I am trying to configure GCC 3.2.2 to recognise a new target called NPE. I
have written the machine description files and placed them in a
subdirectory(called NPE) of  the config directory. I realise that i need to
modify gcc/configure.in (the input file for the configure script) and also
the the config.sub file. However I am not sure of how exactly to go about
this. Do I need to modify any other files? What should I put in the
conigure.in and the configure.sub files. Is it recommened to use autoconf? I
would greatly appreciate any help.
Kind Regards

Roger Gough
Ext:3558