Re: makeinfo --no-split

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> Is there any reason why we don't want to make `makeinfo --no-split`
> the new default when building our manuals?

I have observed in the past that emacs behaves perceptibly slower when
using a single large info file rather than split files, though this was
several years ago and I don't know whether it applies with current emacs
or is perceptible on current systems.

> If there are no objections, I would like us to make --no-split the
> new default.

Does setting MAKEINFOFLAGS on the make command line at toplevel now work?
Why should the default be changed by GCC rather than generally by the
Texinfo maintainers (which probably would be a good idea if the
performance concerns no longer apply)?

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk