This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: GCC 3.3 release criteria


> If people in C land are complaining that C doesn't inline enough, and 
> have not complained that it does it too much, then obviously this is a 
> compiler bug and C should inline more.  There isn't a reason that C and 
> C++ have to use the same exact heuristics.


I also think it is reasonable to have different heuristics for the cases where the
programmer demands inlining and where the compiler on its own thinks it might be
a good idea (that's what we do in GNAT, where nevertheless we often find that -O3
deoptimizes, since the programmer has done a pretty good job of figuring out what
to inline).

P.S. I knwo my mailer is still not threading, I am working on fixing this.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]