This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [parisc-linux] 2.4.20-pa27 64bits smp problem!
- From: Matthew Wilcox <willy at debian dot org>
- To: John David Anglin <dave at hiauly1 dot hia dot nrc dot ca>
- Cc: willy at debian dot org, parisc-linux at parisc-linux dot org, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:37:22 +0000
- Subject: Re: [parisc-linux] 2.4.20-pa27 64bits smp problem!
- References: <3E5BA2910000087F@ocpmta3.freegates.net> <200302261858.h1QIwvSJ019646@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>
On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:58:57PM -0500, John David Anglin wrote:
> > Would I have to open a bug report near gcc with this one?
>
> You mean for the errors:
>
> joel.c:19: error: initializer element is not constant
> joel.c:19: error: (near initialization for `MyRWLock')
> joel.c:19: error: initializer element is not constant
>
> No, fix the code. I don't believe you will win this one. This
> feature (extension) was deliberately removed from GCC.
I think it was an error to do so. I do not see how
(spinlock_t) { 1 }
is any more or less constant than
{ 1 }
Removing this extension is a bad idea because it removes the ability to
do typechecking. For example,
rwlock_t lock = SPIN_LOCK_INIT;
would throw an error with a cast and not without.
--
"It's not Hollywood. War is real, war is primarily not about defeat or
victory, it is about death. I've seen thousands and thousands of dead bodies.
Do you think I want to have an academic debate on this subject?" -- Robert Fisk