This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: gcc3.3 30% speedup in the past 2 weeks (MICO compilation)


 > Any suggestions to make that you'd like to see tested? I got more than
 > enough CPU cyles and a decently fast machine (p4-2.2ghz, 512 ram) so
 > I'd be happy to help out where I can.
 > Gerard Beekmans

Thanks for volunteering.

If you don't have any large projects or code in mind yourself, perhaps
trying the C++ packages listed in the release criteria application
"integration tests" would be a good start.  See:
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.1/criteria.html

Ideally, I'd like to see before and after tests for compile times
using 3.3.  (The 3.4 tree is often broken these days IMHO.)

You can simulate the "before" compiler by disabling the heuristics.
Commenting out the init_ggc_heuristics() in toplev.c should do it.  To
validate it was disabled properly, expect to see the old values of 30%
and 4096K for the GC parameters when compiling code with -v in the
"before" compiler.  With 512Mb, the "after" compiler should show
roughly 65% and 65536K but I've seen it vary depending on how
"accurately" the OS responds to physmem's queries.

		Thanks,
		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			ghazi at caip dot rutgers dot edu


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]