This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Feedback-driven optimization
- From: Jan Hubicka <jh at suse dot cz>
- To: Richard Henderson <rth at redhat dot com>,Robert Myers <rmyers1400 at attbi dot com>, gcc <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 12:00:14 +0100
- Subject: Re: Feedback-driven optimization
- References: <3E587286.2040805@attbi.com> <20030223091654.GA618@redhat.com>
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 02:04:38AM -0500, Robert Myers wrote:
> > One problem: my instincts tell me I should be working with RTL, not
> > binary, but gcc doesn't permit routine dump of RTL.
>
> Nope. You'll have to make your modifications within gcc itself.
Also there is already support for profile feedback in number of
optimizers. I am not sure how much more can be done in IA-64 specific
way - probably ifcvt can be made to use it better (there are papers
about profile based hyperblock formation, perhaps it is worthwhile to
implement this) and scheduler - there is already code for trace
schedling but it is not done on IA-64 compilation path as it does
scheduling. The modification would be trivial. I would be greatly
interested in results of these.
Honza
>
> > Another problem: I don't have an IA-64 and probably don't want one.
> > What I really want is an emulator that can be completely instrumented.
>
> There isn't a free ia64 simulator. To my knowledge, there isn't
> even a closed source simulator that is generally available.
>
>
> r~