This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: [PATCH] Document arithmetic overflow semantics


> > really very little cost.  The only major cases I can think of that the
> > initialization would not be killed would be something like this:
>
> Hmm, I am quite dubious about the claim that this would have zero overhead
> in practice, but if true, then I agree, it should be done.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming _zero_ overhead, just "very
little" overhead overhead.  C programmers everywhere would rebel against
such a thing, but it certainly would be a useful option to have.  If your
program doesn't work with optimization turned on, you could try this
switch, and it might help paper over the problem.  :)

-Chris

-- 
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/
http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/Projects/


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]