This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: GCC 3.3, GCC 3.4


On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 07:04:00PM +1100, Tim Josling wrote:
> 1. Allocating storage of similar sizes together, sacrificing locality.
> 2. Wasting space by rounding up allocations to the next power of 2, wasting
> space and increasing working set sizes.
> 3. Having bits of GC code all over the place impacting code locality and
> working set sizes.

Number 2 is already done.  We special case the few non-power-of-2
cases that actually get used.

As for the rest, I had a patch (before the pch merge) that changed
the allocator such that there were only two size buckets: larger
and smaller than 1 page.  I did get somewhat better peak memory
usage, but the compiler actually slowed down some more (!), which
is why I havn't pushed the code in.


r~


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]