Re: Improved use of TREE_SYMBOL_REFERENCED in the C++ front end

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:14:27 -0800, Matt Austern <austern@apple.com> said:
> On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, at 12:02 PM, Mark Mitchell wrote:

>> A better, but more invasive, solution would be to keep the
>> information about what tree the symbol corresponds to in the back
>> end; it could use that information for other purposes as well.
>> (Like when the symbol corresponds to a constant global array, and
>> the array index is a constant, after optimization, and we want to
>> just grab the constant out of the array.)

> More invasive, indeed!  You're probably right that it would be
> better, though.  If you can persuade me that this wouldn't be quite
> as ghastly as it looks like it would be, though, I'll go for it.  As
> you say, it could well be useful for other reasons anyway.

I think Daniel Berlin might be dealing with a similar problem right
now when trying to add proper debugging information for namespaces: my
understanding of what he's told me is that, when dwarf2out.c is trying
to output info for using directives, it only has the name of the
namespace that the using directive is trying to add, rather than the
DECL in question, and he really needs the latter so that he can put
the right info in the DW_TAG_imported_module.  (I'm CC'ing Daniel so
he can correct what I'm saying if I've got it wrong.)

David Carlton
carlton@math.stanford.edu