Re: Obsolete installation instructions and inconvenient CVS HOWTO

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Reichelt wrote:
> first, the information on the web page
>   http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html
> is a a little bit obsolete. From a recent discussion with DJ Delorie:
>
> Me:
>>> According to the fifth paragraph of
>>> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html
>>> this is not supported:
>>>
>>>   First, in general, GCC must be built into a separate directory than
>>>   the sources which does not reside within the source tree. This is
>>>   how
>>>   almost all developers build GCC; building where srcdir == objdir is
>>>   completely unsupported; building where objdir is a subdirectory of
>>>   srcdir is completely unsupported.
>>>
>>> Or did I miss something?
>
> DJ Delorie:
>> That document is obsolete.  In the 3.1 documentation it states this:
>>
>>   "First, we @strong{highly} recommend that GCC be built into a
>>   separate directory than the sources which does @strong{not} reside
>>   within the source tree.  This is how we generally build GCC;
>>   building where @var{srcdir} == @var{objdir} should still work, but
>>   doesn't get extensive testing; building where @var{objdir} is a
>>   subdirectory of @var{srcdir} is unsupported."
>>
>> The current documentation says pretty much the same thing.

I raised this issue back in June,

  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-06/threads.html#01664
  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-07/threads.html#00019

DJ, it seems something like

  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-cvs/2002-04/msg00764.html

should be applied to mainline as well? If you agree, would you mind
doing that (or would you prefer me doing it)?

Gerald