Questions about modifing AST.

Dear ALL,

	i want to convert floating point to fixed point arithmetics
	in compiler level.
	My approach (still thinking) is getting the AST from the gcc
	frontend,and then anaylse the necessary fixed-point notations
	to remove floating point operations. I modify the AST node with
	floating point to fixed-point and using gcc backend translate
	to binary.

	Is it difficult to do somethings like that? very complex??
	Since i am very NEW to compiler field, of course GCC.

	Also , i found that only gcc 3.x provides the dumping of AST.
	is it true?

	After i get the AST file, how can i use gcc backend to translate
	back to binary? which commands i should issue?

	Hope to get your advices.

Regards,
Eric
--