Re: question about gcc

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 04:23:05PM -0700, Mike Stump wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 04:42 AM, marc.poulhies@epfl.ch
> wrote:
> >I'm a student in computer sciences and i'm learning how compilers
> >work. This
> >morning a student told that gcc, in fact, always traducts other
> >languages to C,
> >as it was first designed for C and so can handle it very well.
> >I was suprised, but before telling him waht i thought, i wanted to have
> >something to show him (in the case he's wrong).
> >My readings gave me an answer about c++, but what about other
> >languages?
>
> traducts isn't a word in my language, so I might not understand your
> question.

Sure it is. "Traduct" means to translate or to transfer.

$ dict -d web1913 traduct
2 definitions found

>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

  Traduct \Tra*duct"\, v. t. [L. traducere, traductum. See
     Traduce.]
     To derive or deduce; also, to transmit; to transfer. [Obs.]
     --Fotherby.

>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

  Traduct \Tra*duct"\, n.
     That which is traducted; that which is transferred; a
     translation. [Obs.] --Howell.

Kurt
--
Is your job running?  You'd better go catch it!