Re: real.c implementation

> This is the part I don't understand.  On a machine with IEEE format
> arithmetic all langauges benefit if floating-point literals are
> generated precisely, even if the language specification does not
> require it.

First, "generated precisely" is not well defined (and as I have pointed out
in a previous message, for example, Ada and Java have different requirements
for what precisely means).

Second, requiring exact rounding through the entire range has very severe
implications. Be sure that is what you want before you require it. This
for instance goes far beyond the requirements of IEEE 754.