Re: Your change to expmed.c on 3/13/2002

Richard> This must have gone by when I wasn't looking, but the way it's coded,
Richard> it essentially disables all aliasing detection when there is a
Richard> component reference.

Richard> Can you explain more about exactly how this can occur and why some
Richard> more precise test isn't more appropriate?

	If you review the discussion on the GCC mailinglist, you will see
that this patch arose out of the strct-pack-1.c failure.  You were
intimately involved in the discussions.  See the discussion beginning 13
March 2002.

	Yes, GCC *should* do better, but at the moment GCC cannot
represent the more detailed information necessary to do a better job.  The
choice was to have something that is non-optimal but works correctly.
Also, any other change was too drastic during that stage of development.

	If you want to develop a more correct and complete implementation
for merge during Stage 1 of GCC 3.4 development, I am sure that we all
would appreciate that.  You said that you were interested in the issue in
December 2001.

David