Re: Bootstrap times on mainline are getting worse

Hi Zack,

> > A 'time make bootstrap' on version "2002-10-03" gives:
> >
> > real    57m38.632s
> > user    51m20.200s
> > sys     4m55.500s
> >
> > With this patch I get:
> >
> > real    58m16.766s
> > user    51m14.720s
> > sys     5m0.850s
>
> I smell cache blowout.  Notice how the real and system times went up,
> but the user time went down?

I think that you're barking up the wrong tree on this one.  As I've
mentioned in http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-10/msg01183.html, we're
still looking for a 6% (approx 4 minute slow-down) around October 5th.

Total process times above, 56m:15.7 before and 56m:15.5 after showed
that this patch itself had virtually no effect.  The minor difference
in wall clock times can easily be explained by attributed to other
processes running on the same machine.

Also be carefull about changing these RTX costs to unsigned char.
Pentium4 already has integer division costs at around 120, and
improvements in superscalar issue vs memory latency could easily
push values above 256 on x86 within only a year or so.  Just look
at the curves for i386, i486, pentium, pentiumpro, pentium4....

Roger