Installing GCC on Mandrake SNF 7.2

ALCON,

I am rather new to Linux and I am trying my best to try and figure out how
to load this gcc 3.11 on my Linux box.

I blew away SSH and I wanted to reinstall it, but there was no compiler on
the Linux box and none to be obtained from the distro.

So I figured I would just go ahead and download the latest distro of gcc and
commence to:

tar -xvzt file.tar.gz
cd gcc-3.1.1
./configure
make
make install

and I never made it past the ./configure

It told me the following:

cc: command not found
The command cc -o conftest -g conftest.c failed
You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler

I tried to understand your documentation on the website about installing,
but I just didn't get the "objdir" and "srcdir".

I am not a programmer, but I kinda figured I would need to have the compiler
to put anything based on source on my computer.

Can you help me?

Thank you
Mike