Re: Ada/GNAT runtime library?

> Was DOS the reason for the 8.3 file names?

Well DOS and all the formats (e.g. floppy and CD formats) that borrowed
this restriction, plus keeping file names short is convenient anways.
Actually gcc has largely maintained the 8+3 rule itself.

> Thanks for the list, Robert!
> Why not put it somewhere on gcc.gnu.org?

It's clear in the makefile, and publishing the list might make people think
that GNAT can be built for all these targets which is not the case (at least
we have not tried some of them).

> What puzzels me, is the close dependancy between the
> OS and the CPU for the GNARL.
> e.g.
> GNU/Linux x86 works
> GNU/Linux Alpha don't work

Why should this puzzle you. The interface to the threads library is
different in these two versions of GNU/Linux, in particular, one is
32 bit and one is 64-bit.

It's easy enough to build a GNU/Linux Alpha version of GNAT, others have
done it for sure.