Re: quote marks [was: Status of i18n patches]

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 09:14:20AM -0700, Per Bothner wrote:
> While we're at it, perhaps it is time to fix things like:
> `%s' to '%s' - i.e. get rid of uses of 0x60 GRAVE ACCENT as
> "begin single quote".  This no longer works with modern
> Unicode-compatible fonts, since it is not symmetric with
> 0x27 APROSTROPHE (aks APOSTROPHE-QUOTE).

While I agree that we need to make a change along these lines, I would
suggest using "%s" (0x22 QUOTATION MARK) which is reliably a neutral
(vertical) double quote.  This is already the convention in cpplib.
It is, however, mildly annoying to have to write \" all the time.

> One option: we could have the various error routines post-process
> the error message before printing.  Depending on an option or the
> locale it could either emit a pair of 0x27 or a 0x2018/0x2019 pair

An interesting idea... although, if we go with the double-quote
suggestion, it should be 0x201C/0x201D.  Don't recent versions of
gettext have the ability to recode messages on output?  Perhaps this
feature could be added there.

zw