Does 'make install' changes xgcc?

 We are doing modulo scheduling for gcc-3.0. After making changes(just
printfs for debugging purpose) to the source code we compile it using
make and rum the testcases using xgcc(xgcc -da -O3 test.c),but these
changes are not reflected in the dump file generated for our pass.But
after doing 'make install' does reflects them. What might be the possible
reason for this?
The path for xgcc is same in both the cases.

regards,
Ritu.