Re: virtual inline optimizations

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 08:32:50AM -0700, Reza Roboubi wrote:
> For instance, xx->foo() should have a compile time resolvable binding if
> xx points to  a  class at the _bottom_ of the class hierarchy(am I wrong
> about that??)

There is no "bottom" of the class hierarchy unless one is doing
whole-program analysis.  If you're only looking at one source file,
someone somewhere else could create a further derivation.

What is more likely is that in some situations we'll be able to
deduce the true type of the object referred to by xx, and from there
call the proper method directly.

r~