Re: deprecate i960 now?

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 05:18:36PM -0700, Joe Buck wrote:
> If we have no maintainer and no i960 processors, and the gdb folks are
> taking away resources, we can't maintain it.  We can have an alternate
> designation in such cases, "orphaned" rather than "deprecated", meaning
> it's on hold until volunteers step up to the challenge of keeping it
> going.
[...]
> Agreed, which is why an "orphaned" status might be better.  The code can
> stay around, but maintainance goes on hold until someone takes it over.

I don't understand the advantage of keeping code in the tree that we
know doesn't work, or at least /will/ break given that there's nobody
maintaining it.  Surely a future interested developer can fetch the last-
known-working version of i960 code from CVS with not much difficulty.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002