Re: gnu on solaris

Nathan Sidwell <nathan@codesourcery.com> writes:

| Hi,
| Unless I'm building things stupidly, current gnu tools seem awkward &|
| unusable on sparc-solaris. This is a convergence of binutils/gcc/gdb
| issues, and I'd like to check that it's not just me,
| I tested this on sparc-sun-solaris2.8
|
| 1) binutils 2.13 can't build shared objects - well, it builds them
| but they segfault.

Same here -- while a bit different: it can't find some symbols (which
are actually defined).  I tried CVS version (2.13.90 from last August)
which seems to work.

[...]

| 3) gdb 5.2 & 5.2.1 couldn't read some 3.3pre core files.

(I bet there are related to DWARF info, right?).  Again here, I
switched to CVS version.

[...]

| the current install.texi file does not document these issues.

:-(

I don't know if you have the patience for trying CVS versions for some
of those tools -- it IS sad GCC should require CVS versions of
fundamental tools.

Good luck.

-- Gaby