RE: G++ 3.2, Sol 7/sparc, dynamic linking problem?

> From: Janis Johnson [mailto:janis187@us.ibm.com]
> > Has anybody built GCC 3.2 on Solaris 7? (or 8/9?)
> See the GCC 3.2 build status list at
> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.2/buildstat.html for links to messages about
> successful builds on those systems, plus links to archived test results.

Unfortunately, buildstat does not include a description of the conditions
under which gcc was build -- eg, binutils or Solaris 'binutils', config
settings etc.  Though I could track down one of those reponsible...

Further to my last posting, that 'strip' (binutils 2.12.1) corrupted the
executables, I have since noticed that the Sun strip (/usr/ccs/bin/strip)
seems to work OK on the GNU generated binaries.

Tried building GCC with the Sun 'binutils' (the method described for the
gcc-3.2 package on http://www.sunfreeware.com/), but that build fell over --
I think during libjava again, but could be misremembering.

Following a trawl of the binutils maillist, I am trying yet-another-build,
using binutils-2.13.  According to the discussion there, there is a problem
with the
'-z combreloc' option for 'ld' on Solaris 7/8.  So, after installaling the
binutils, 'ld' was wrapped as 'ld "$@" -z nocombreloc'.  Building GCC as I
type...

Still getting the assembler warnings when compiling with gcj:

	Warning: .stabs: description field '2f002f' too big, try a different
debug format

Now trying to find out how to build binutils/GCC to use a different debug
format, and if so which (what is used by Sun?).

Si.