Re: C++ ABI Issues

On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 11:27 AM, Ziemowit Laski wrote:
On Tuesday, Aug 27, 2002, at 11:15 US/Pacific, Mike Stump wrote:

On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 11:07 AM, Ziemowit Laski wrote:
Another question is whether proprietary compilers (HP aC++, etc.) also support
__GXX_ABI_VERSION
No. It is impossible for someone else to have exactly the same bugs as we have without very deliberate engineering, also they would have to be perfect in their abi to not require their own abi number.
If the C++ ABI is to be a multi-vendor ABI, then I think you _would_ need some sort of multi-vendor numbering scheme. (Or is source-level compatibility not desirable?) You're right about the difficulty of ensuring bug-for-bug compatibility, though.
Yes, but that's a pipe dream. On cannot have any abi velocity of any sort for multivendor abi compatibility. One cannot have any abi bugs either. If both of these were true, we would not be talking about -fabi-correctly and friends.