Re: [tree-ssa] AST optimizer in C++?

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> > Yep that's a nice interface for handling CFG nodes.
> > I saw something like this also in open64.
> > It's so simple to just say: iterate over all BB in topological order
> > and just write "for (topological_CFG::iterator i = ..."
> > :-)

> Just an FYI, I reimplemented from scratch (so i wouldn't have to deal
> with any revealing of code i've been asked not to reveal issues) the
> graph_traits stuff, and their callgraph stuff, in a C++ based AST
> optimizer.

Nifty. :)

> I've yet to deal with the issue of a Tree class (either by conversion,
> or abstraction).
> Too lazy.
> It's just something i play with from time to time.
> Though if you guys want to play with a C++ based AST optimizer, i'll
> throw it on a branch or something (It can construct callgraphs
> incrementally, and a few other things).

That's very interesting!  What do you think the likelyhood of GCC using a
C++ based optimizer is?  I think everyone will acknowledge that writing it
in C++ would make it much nicer to deal with, but do you the the extra
bootstrap stage (if no native C++ compiler is available) would be
tolerated?

-Chris

http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/
http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/Projects/