Re: C++ ABI Issues

Joe> Finally, there's the issue of how far we bend over to make it easier to
Joe> accomodate the proprietary competition to GCC on GNU/Linux.  That is, who
Joe> are we doing this ABI for?  Describing GCC so precisely so that it can be
Joe> easily replaced?  Mind you, I *do* want good documentation and adherence
Joe> to standards, and I'm against the introduction of any artificial barriers,
Joe> but the distributors really, really wanted a release that would re-unify
Joe> the world and we gave it to them.  Maybe the best thing in the short term
Joe> is for the competition to release patches to make their compilers
Joe> bug-compatible with GCC.

	I think it is highly arrogant if GCC says that the ABI is whatever
we implemented.  There is an external ABI specification.  G++ claims that
it follows the spec.  Other proprietary compilers implementing the ABI
were able to get these cases correct without an external conformance
testsuite.  Acting as if the entire world revolves around GCC will not
elicit much respect for GNU/Linux and GCC from the marketplace.

David