This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: C++ ABI Issues
- From: Zack Weinberg <zack at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:43:12 -0700
- Subject: Re: C++ ABI Issues
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 03:16:36PM -0700, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> Our testing and investigation has lead to the discovery of several places
> where G++'s class layout still does not match the published ABI
> specification. Other vendors (notably HP and Intel) do match the ABI
> specification. Therefore, the ABI specification is probably not going
> to change to validate G++'s behavior.
> Therefore, we will have to choose whether or not we want to change G++
> to match the specification.
Independent of what we decide to do about this specific issue, I
propose that the release of 3.3 be delayed as long as necessary for
testing tools to mature to the point that we have confidence we will
not find further bugs in our implementation of the C++ ABI.