gcc 3.2 altivec options and glibc

Hi,
    Does anyone intimate with the gcc 3.2 altivec code
generation options have a good feel for what would happen
if glibc were recompiled with altivec code generation
enabled in gcc 3.2? In particular, would the libm created
by such a compile have its floating point operations
redirected to the altivec? I am asking because we already have
some code, hp-timing, that doesn't run on the 601, and it
might be interesting at this point to explore an altivec
saavy version of glibc. It seems to me that simply enabling
its use through compiler flags would be a good starting
point, no? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
                            Jack