Re: RFC: attribute "unpadded"

Types with this new attribute will have unusual semantics - you can't
have arrays of them nor take the addresses of objects with that type,
You can take their addresses; you just can't do pointer arithmetic.

So, you're adding more
complexity to an edifice that is already rather baroque -- and the end
result of the combination of these attributes will be difficult to
explain and understand.
Yes; I make this argument all the time when we discuss various extensions.

When the extension just provides an easier way of doing something
that can already be done, it's a particularly strong argument.  In this
case, that's not true; the proposed extension does let us do something
new.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC