Re: Faster compilation speed: cache behavior

Matt Austern wrote:-

> As these numbers suggest, using cc1plus takes much longer than
> using cc1.
>
> The fact that list_length and ht_lookup and cp_tree_node_structure
> are so high suggests that we've got poor locality in tree node
> allocation.  The fact that cp_tree_node_structure is so high
> suggests that we're probably getting a lot of cache misses
> during garbage collection.

ht_lookup will be fixed when identifiers stop being trees.  Being
a tree means a lot of unnecessary baggage in the struct, and
unpredictable allocation like you say.

However, making identifiers not be trees requires de-obfuscation
of various derived tree structures, which I don't hold out much
hope for in the near term...

Neil.