This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: A FrontEnd in C++?
- From: dewar at gnat dot com (Robert Dewar)
- To: dnovillo at redhat dot com, zack at codesourcery dot com
- Cc: fjh at cs dot mu dot oz dot au, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, khalidaggag at hotmail dot com
- Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 19:18:42 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: Re: A FrontEnd in C++?
<<> Based on the number of problems we have encountered with the Ada front
> end compared to the others, I think that as a matter of project policy
> writing front ends in any language other than C should be discouraged.
I really don't see any major problems with Ada being written in Ada, we have
never had trouble building, and lots of people have built GNAT V5 from the
gcc sources successfully.
>>C is such a barbaric language for writing compilers
I have to agree with this. You really really need a language that supports
abstraction well for writing compilers.