This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Faster compilation speed [zone allocation]
- From: Michael Matz <matz at suse dot de>
- To: Aldy Hernandez <aldyh at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Per Bothner <per at bothner dot com>, <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 20:41:28 +0200 (CEST)
- Subject: Re: Faster compilation speed [zone allocation]
On 15 Aug 2002, Aldy Hernandez wrote:
> This is just an idea, why doesn't someone hack the GC to never
> collect, and then we can really find out how much is to be gained by a
> refcounter, or no GC at all, etc.
To switch off GC doesn't necessarily bring anything, except that GC isn't
done. But the allocated memory still has the same locality as before
(i.e. if it's the reason for bad performance now, that will still be the
case if we switch off GC). I.e. it wouldn't proove anything.