This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Faster compilation speed [zone allocation]
- From: David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>
- To: Aldy Hernandez <aldyh at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Per Bothner <per at bothner dot com>, Michael Matz <matz at suse dot de>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:39:04 -0400
- Subject: Re: Faster compilation speed [zone allocation]
>>>>> Aldy Hernandez writes:
Aldy> This is just an idea, why doesn't someone hack the GC to never
Aldy> collect, and then we can really find out how much is to be gained by a
Aldy> refcounter, or no GC at all, etc.
Aldy> Why go down this path, if we're not even sure it'll improve anything
Aldy> (well, that much anyhow).
Because the problem is not the garbage collection, its the
allocation pattern. The proposal to use reference counting allows GCC to
switch to an allocator with better locality -- it's a requirement for the
underlying improvement, not a fix unto itself.