Re: Faster compilation speed

   From: "Timothy J. Wood" <tjw@omnigroup.com>
   Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:27:07 -0700

      You can easily use much less than a full word.  Foundation on
   OpenStep/Mach 4.2 started storing partial ref counts in whatever spare
   bits were available in each object.

We don't have any spare bits, we have 32 bits used for RTX state then
the next object is a pointer.  So whatever size counter we use will
eat at a minimum a word's worth of space to get the pointers aligned
up properly.