Re: Faster compilation speed

>> As one of my colleagues commented, this is the cache behavior one
>> would see with database transaction processing.  In other words, this is
>> *really bad*.

Daniel> Yup.

	The problem isn't that the number is low at optimization.  29 I/M
is not horrible.  Low 20's is bad.  Scientific code will have a value in
the low hundreds, but compilation is not that regular a computation.

	The problem is that the number stays the same or gets worse
without optimization.  Most commercial compilers will be in the same
ballpark when optimizing, but use a lot fewer instructions and a lot fewer
cache misses to produce minimally optimized, debuggable code.

David