This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Faster compilation speed
- From: Joe Buck <Joe dot Buck at synopsys dot com>
- To: shebs at apple dot com (Stan Shebs)
- Cc: dewar at gnat dot com (Robert Dewar), drow at mvista dot com,Theodore dot Papadopoulo at sophia dot inria dot fr, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, mrs at apple dot com,phil at jaj dot com
- Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:53:22 -0700 (PDT)
- Subject: Re: Faster compilation speed
> I'm not very keen on trying to start from scratch, the people that have
> tried over the past few years haven't done so well. Also, since we don't
> seem to have a good understanding of why GCC is slow, then why would we
> expect a redesign to somehow avoid those problems? And if we do get an
> understanding, then we can estimate the effort to change it incrementally.
David Edelsohn's numbers suggest that bad cache behavior may be the
primary culprit. Figuring out how to improve data locality might be a
good starting point.