This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Faster compilation speed
- From: Matt Austern <austern at apple dot com>
- To: dewar at gnat dot com (Robert Dewar)
- Cc: drow at mvista dot com, Theodore dot Papadopoulo at sophia dot inria dot fr, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, mrs at apple dot com, phil at jaj dot com, shebs at apple dot com
- Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:51:22 -0700
- Subject: Re: Faster compilation speed
On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, at 09:10 AM, Robert Dewar wrote:
My point is that a factor of ten is relative.
If you have a million lines COBOL program and it takes 10 hours to
then cutting it down to 1 hour is a real win. If it takes 10 minutes to
compile, then cutting it down to 1 minute is a much smaller win in
For some of the things Apple does, a 10-hour build time would be
a major improvement. I don't think we're alone in that. Machines
are faster than they once were, but projects are now much larger.