multilib support in libiberty

Hello everyone,

I am attempting to build a cross compiler with a multilib that I produce
myself.  I am haing trouble with libiberty because even though it is
told about the multilib it attempts to build in the libiberty directory
first.

during compilation, it shows that it is properly being configured with
multilib support:

Adding multilib support to Makefile in
/home/sean/gnu/windriver/libiberty
with_multisubdir=MIPS64gnule

but then it goes into the main libiberty directory and starts to compile
directly in there instead of the subdir MIPS64gnule as it should:

make[4]: Entering directory
`/usr/home/sean/gnu/windriver/x86-freebsd/mips-wrs-vxworks/mips-wrs-vxworks/libiberty'
if [ x"" != x ] && [ ! -d pic ]; then \
  mkdir pic; \
else true; fi
touch stamp-picdir
CONFIG_FILES= CONFIG_HEADERS=config.h:config.in /bin/sh ./config.status
creating config.h
config.h is unchanged

Can anyone assist me in getting this straight?  Is this a problem with
the libiberty configuration stuff?

Thanks in advance,
Sean