This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Faster compilation speed
- From: dewar at gnat dot com (Robert Dewar)
- To: dje at watson dot ibm dot com, torvalds at transmeta dot com
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 13:45:23 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: Re: Faster compilation speed
< GCC did not switch from obstacks to garbage collection because of
any inherent love for garbage collection. Using garbage collection
instead of obstacks was the most efficient way to support other features
which were added to GCC 3.0.
It also removes a pernicious variety of bug that often caused nasty memory
corruption in earlier versions of GCC. Our experience with the back end of
GCC (from the point of view of GNAT) is that code generation errors have
been a much more serious problem than time and space requirements.