gcov .da extension block

Hi,
does any tool use the gcov extension block as defined in
gcov.texi?
@smallexample
        number of instrumented arcs in whole program (4-byte number)
        sum all of instrumented arcs in whole program (8-byte number)
        maximal value of counter in whole program (8-byte number)
        number of instrumented arcs in the object file (4-byte number)
        sum all of instrumented arcs in the object file (8-byte number)
        maximal value of counter in the object file (8-byte number)
@end smallexample

gcov itself ignores this and the maximal value of counter in
whole program is used for a message in profile.c, but not
for calculation.

The reason I ask, is that I'd like to change the .da file
dumping to merge data, rather than append new data to the .da
file for each program run. Instrumenting g++ produces 1.5GB
of data just building libstdc++, I ran out of disk space running
the testsuite.  Preserving the first three extension block fields
would be very difficult when merging.

nathan
--
Dr Nathan Sidwell   ::   http://www.codesourcery.com   ::   CodeSourcery LLC
         'But that's a lie.' - 'Yes it is. What's your point?'