Re: libgcc_s, Linux, and PT_GNU_EH_FRAME, and binutils

--On Monday, August 05, 2002 04:48:31 PM -0400 Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 01:43:26PM -0700, Mark Mitchell wrote:
--On Monday, August 05, 2002 10:16:35 PM +0200 "Martin v. Loewis"
<martin@v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> writes:
>
>> I agree.  I don't think we need to do this for GCC 3.2, but I do think
>> it would be good to do this at some point.
>
> If you don't do this for 3.2, you will definitely end up with two
> incompatible ABIs on Linux, both of them in wide use.

Walk me through it, if you please.

How will this happen?
If one gcc is configured with --enable-threads=posix and one without this,
then the 2 aren't ABI compatible (see the list of libstdc++-v3
make check failures I got when doing this and swapping the 2 libraries).

If one gcc is configured on glibc 2.2.5+ and one on old glibc, then the
former can run everybody's applications/libraries while the latter only
apps/libraries compiled using that compiler.
OK; I understand the technical issue.  I should have been more clear;
how will the "both of them in wide use" part happen?

The whole point of 3.2 is for all the distributors to have a chance to
get to a common ABI.  I'd assume they will be able to get together and
agree on the right set of configure options.  I have no objection to
automating that more -- in fact I'd like it if we did -- but I don't
see this as a showstopper.  (At least not yet.)

People building their own GCC -- rather than getting stuff from a
GNU/Linux distributor -- are going to have a harder time.  But, they're
doing things the hard way; I don't mind that.

*If* things are configured correctly, do the problems Benjamin mentioned
go away?