Re: C++ ABI testing issues, gcc-3.3 <-> gcc-3.2 compatibility

--On Monday, August 05, 2002 11:25:29 AM +0200 Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 09:00:29AM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
"Goodman, Joe" <joe.goodman@intel.com> writes:

> We provide a C++ ABI test suite you can download from
> http://developer.intel.com/software/products/opensource/.  Please feel
> free to download and run this suite.

Thanks for reminding us.  I did test it some weeks ago and decided to
look again add it - and noticed that I configured it wrong the last
time and was not executing the tests (config.mk disables them by
default on non-ia64 platforms :-( ).

Here're the results on i686-linux-gnu from GCC 3.2 branch as of
2002-08-04:

./bitfield1
Test 1 Failure: bitfield1.cpp:59
Intel's testsuite is (a) somewhat out of date and (b) not fully portable
to all architectures (i.e, makes assumptions that are correct on
Itanium but not necessarily elsewhere).

One of the interesting bits is that the EDG front end does not really
have the idea of "alignment as a field" as opposed to "alignment in
general", which makes it difficult for EDG-based compilers to get
things exactly compatible with GCC.  If Jakub changes bit-field
alignment rules around, that may make this somewhat easier again.