Problem with some canadian cross builds

There's all sorts of configury voodoo going on here, much of which is
suspect, but it boils down to the top level configure.in guessing a name for
$GCC_FOR_TARGET - often incorrectly.  The first place this shows up is in:

# Dump a specs file to make -B./ read these specs over installed ones.
specs: xgcc$(exeext)
        $(GCC_FOR_TARGET) -dumpspecs > tmp-specs
        mv tmp-specs specs

The others I can work around by overriding GCC_FOR_TARGET, but is there some
other way we can get the specs file besides running what we seem to assume
is the built compiler?  If I override GCC_FOR_TARGET I get a completely
different specs file; for instance, one in which *cross_compile is set
differently.

(On a related note, is there any interest in making "make bootstrap" or some
other target build a native compiler and use that to build the canadian
cross compiler?  Otherwise you have to have the _exact_ _same_ GCC version
installed as your cross compiler, or you hit Bad Mojo.  Does this belong in
make bootstrap or elsewhere?)