Re: gcc 3.2's cpp breaks configure scripts

matz@suse.de (Michael Matz)  wrote on 31.07.02 in <Pine.LNX.4.33.0207311553070.31138-100000@wotan.suse.de>:

> On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
>

> > Well... Having used autoconf/automake only _once_ myself, I can tell
> > that it's quite hard to work with it. I've not really understood its
> > concepts, I've not really found good/comprehensive documentation.
>
> Although this gets OT quickly, autoconf and automake come with extensive
> documentation in form of info pages.

Yeah, but those docs are much better as a reference than as a tutorial.
IMAO, they are pretty much useless as a tutorial.

And if you look at existing uses, that certainly shows lots and lots of
pure cargo-cult programming. I'd say that by far most autoconf users don't
understand their tool.

MfG Kai