gcc register allocation

hello,

Say I have two register banks, a lower bank and an upper bank containing any
number of registers. I want to allocate registers such that for an operation
say addition:

   Upper bank register = Lower bank register + Upper bank register

I tried making seperate classes for both banks but that doesnt seem to work
and changing the register allocation order doesnt seem to be a good idea
since that does not take care of all cases. What should be done,any
suggestions?

regards,
danish