This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: 3.2 PATCH: Fully support parallel gnat1/gnatbind builds
- From: dewar at gnat dot com (Robert Dewar)
- To: Joe dot Buck at synopsys dot com, dewar at gnat dot com
- Cc: Joe dot Buck at synopsys dot COM, fw at deneb dot enyo dot de, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org,gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu,ro at TechFak dot Uni-Bielefeld dot DE, zack at codesourcery dot com
- Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 20:17:59 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: Re: 3.2 PATCH: Fully support parallel gnat1/gnatbind builds
> Too bad: it appears that two theoretically independent notions were
> combined: treating warnings as errors, and enabling maintainer mode.
That's because we wanted to make it IMPOSSIBLE for people to introduce
code that generated warnings. We find this a very useful discipline, and
not one that we would discard lightly just to solve one bootstrap path
a) can easily enough be solved by the reasonable requirement of using 3.1
to compile 3.2
b) is not that critical anyway, pragma Warnings (Off) is not terrible
But we do regard it as critical that no one be able to introduce a patch
that generates a warning. If you don't do that, it is all too easy for
such code to creep in, and no one has the energy to fix it up.